- Codes of conduct
- ACTING IN DIFFERENT CRISIS SITUATIONS
- Extreme weather conditions
Extreme weather conditions
ACTING IN DIFFERENT CRISIS SITUATIONS
- BE PREPARED FOR THE DISRUPTION OF SERVICE!
- STAY INDOORS!
- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF AUTHORITIES!
- You hear or see warning signs of extraordinary climatic phenomena.
- You see the damages caused by climatic phenomena.
How to prepare for extreme weather conditions
- Read about the criteria for warnings that are issued and the meaning of danger levels on the website of Estonian Weather Service at ilmateenistus.ee/ilmatarkus/kasulik-teada/hoiatuste-kriteeriumid/.
- Assess the resistance of your home to extreme weather conditions and determine possible risks:
- risk of pipes freezing;
- risk of trees falling on the building;
- loose garden furniture and easily airborne items;
- resistance of roofs to storm and snow load;
- risk of water making its way indoors in the event of flooding;
- missing lightning protection system;
- risk of overloading the power system.
- Be prepared for the disruption of vital services (electricity, communications, central heating, water supply, permeability of roads, getting help, etc.) and for their time-consuming recovery. Be prepared to cope independently for one week. (See Chapter “Independent coping upon disruption of vital services”).
How to act upon receiving a warning
- Follow the information and codes of conduct issued by authorities.
- Gather together all light items and loose garden furniture from your yard.
- Park your vehicle on an open area or in a garage.
- Be prepared for power outages and road closures.
- Charge your mobile phone and power bank, store drinking water, food and motor fuel.
- Make sure that you have a flashlight and battery-powered radio and sufficient batteries.
- Do not leave pets outside without protection to be hit by the storm.
- Close all doors and windows.
How to act during a storm
- Stay indoors.
- Do not drive your car. If driving is unavoidable, make sure that you have plenty of fuel and take along a charged mobile phone.
- When driving, pick a suitable speed. Be aware that there may be obstacles on the road.
- Keep away from fallen power lines. Elektrilevi’s breakdown notification number is 1343. Find out who your service provider is and on which number disruptions of services are to be provided.
- In the event of human injuries and damage that has caused imminent danger, call the emergency number 112.